Sunday, April 15, 2007

Subversion Links

I've been working on a software project at home for the past several weeks. Until now, I haven't had the project under source code control. A few days ago, I installed open source Subversion and I'm very happy with the results.

I installed the Windows version of CollabNet Subversion from openCollabNet. The current version is 1.4.2. Installation is painless. You just have to answer a few questions including whether to install Subversion as an add-on to an Apache server or as a standalone server (svnserve). I chose the standalone option and my server was up and running in a matter of minutes.

One tip: You will want to check out the instructions for running svnserve as a Windows service. This lets you can automatically start your Subversion server when you start Windows. You can also use the services UI to stop your server, for example, when you back up your repository.

Although CollabNet Subversion includes a command line client, you can pick from a handful of GUI clients too. I chose Subclipse, an Eclipse Team Provider plug-in. If you've experienced the way Eclipse integrates with CVS, Subclipse will be very familiar. The preceding link brings you to a page with information on Eclipse update sites where you can get the version of Subclipse that's right for your version of Eclipse. And How to Use Subversion with Eclipse is a good tutorial for Subclipse beginners.
 

1 comment:

Bob said...

Subversion is pretty nice. So I'm curious: what's the home software project? Something you're willing to talk about?