Wednesday, March 16, 2005

What does "Axis of Elvis" mean?

It doesn't mean anything. It popped into my head one day and I liked the sound of it. Obviously, it's a variation on President Bush's "Axis of Evil", but I'm not making fun of the president -- really.

Before I created this blog, I googled the phrase to see if someone else was using it. As it happens, James Lileks used it in a blog entry from February, 2003. He beat me to it by two years. Sigh. Before the Internet, you could at least pretend you had an original thought.

Others have used the phrase since. Some of them don't seem to understand Lileks's original point. In any case, no one seems to have a serious stake in the phrase. It's as good as any phrase at conveying the idea of a collection of disjointed ruminations. That's good enough for me.

No comments: